I got a hair-brained idea that I’m praying will work…..like a charm as they say! LOL!
What is it you ask? Well, I saw a scrapbook of sorts that you make with index cards in a magazine I’m subscribed to. Their version is called “ABC’s of Summer.” Well, I put my own little twist on it and thought/hope this will help with attachment issues. So, my version will be the “ABC’s of Us”. It’s really simple actually…..You’ll need these items:
- 5X8 package of blank index cards (no lines)
- 5X8 A-Z Card Guides for index cards
- Various photos of your family doing cool and not so cool stuff. Remember, this is about your life….not just the fluff. I added a few of MM making a mad face. I am doing this because this is OUR REALITY!!! The pictures are from Guatemala all the way to the present (spanning 3 years)
- Scrapbook papers, stickers, ribbon, etc for decorating the index cards
- Acid free glue sticks and/or double sided tape (whichever you prefer)
- I haven’t decided whether or not my titles on the pages will be printed from the computer or will be circle dot stickers with colored edging I do myself, but you’ll need something for labeling each photo/index card by their alphabet title…..ex: “hugs” would be a picture of us hugging and being close, sharing the love he desperately needs.
- Hole Punch
- Large Ring to hold it all together when complete
I’ve been in the stage of printing pictures (which also allows me time to stroll down memory lane….who doesn’t love that?) to ready myself for the actual making of the ABC’s of Us booklet of index cards. Mind you…..this is for MM to hold, to look at and to see us growing over the years. This isn’t my “scrapbook” for the shelf…..this is an ongoing active one!!!! To be held, cherished and loved (at least that is my hope) by 10 lil fingers and a heart that needs healing.
ANYTHING I can do as MM’s mama to help him (us) heal, I’m willing to do! I don’t expect immediate results…..remember, this process takes time. Time that we must be willing to give…..freely. This scrapbook of sorts is intended for MM but is a tool that we can use to ellicit conversations that in turn bring togetherness, laughter, and sometimes a tear or two! You get my point?
I have 500 blank index cards and I hope to really do an amazing job on this one!! This is so important…..to let MM see we ARE a family and families stick together through thick and thin, and we are ALWAYS there for each other…even if it is just to sit quietly, give a hug, a kind word, and last but not least is to be an EXAMPLE of love for our children.
If anyone out there wants to join me on making one for your own family….let me know how it turns out and if it’s working for ya! I’d be so happy to hear it helped or is helping. I truly feel this will be a blessing for your families as well as my very own.
Peace and blessings to each of you and your children…..